Thank you to my neighbors, my dry-cleaning lady and my mom, because this year, I have had more zucchini than ever! After sauteing breaded zucchini slices and crock-potting zucchini stew, I have been whipping up batches of mini-zucchini breads! I found this recipe online entitled “Mom’s Zucchini Bread Recipe.”
Please note that I have made the following changes:
- I first don’t make an entire loaf, because nobody needs to be eating a whole loaf by themselves. Get six of your mini-loaf tins and spray with cooking spray.
- Reduce the time to 30 minutes cook time, because of the mini-loaves. Make sure you are checking the middle with a thin knife to ensure it is cooked all the way through. Then add 5 minutes at time until they are cooked all the way through.
- Omit 1 cup of oil and replace using 2 sticks of soft unsalted butter (not margarine). This really isn’t an option. I recently did 1/2 cup of oil and 1 stick of butter, and the consistency was chalky.
- Reduce the amount of sugar (trust me, it is still sweet). No one needs to be using 2 and a 1/4 cup of sugar (yikes!). I reduced to 1.5 cups and you seriously cannot tell that sugar was reduced, because it is still sweet…and you are saving calories.
- If you want to cut more calories, reduce one more 1/2 cup of sugar and substitute with 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce. However, at this point you are really sacrificing the taste of the bread, as I have tried this.
After the loaves are cooled down, wrap, and give to the neighbors after saving one for yourself! Trust me, you need to share the love and the zucchini. I have gotten more positive feedback on this zucchini bread recipe than any other zucchini bread recipe I have ever tried. Happy Baking!